Read how our comprehensive risk-based management report brings out EHS issues that might affect business through a detailed EHS Due…
CSR Project Monitoring and Evaluation
Consultivo carries out Independent Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of CSR and other development projects in India during its entire life cycle. We ensure that the projects are executed as per the plan.
CSR or development project monitoring, evaluation, and reporting is a management need for the successful implementation to ensure that the said project achieves the required objective. It is also equally important to ensure that the project makes the desired impact.
IFC (World Bank Group) Approved Independent Consultant
12+ years of experience in India and across the world
Reach out to our Sustainability team!
Other solutions in Corporate Social Responsibility – CSR
Methodology for Independent Monitoring & Evaluation – M&E
The M&E methodology consists of the following major activities:
- Defining Scope: Finalising M&E project context, scope and objective
- Primary Research: Collection of information, key data and figures on operation and implementation activities
- M&E Framework & Plan: Designing of the monitoring and evaluation framework & M&E plan which includes identification of relevant parameters, indicators, selection of appropriate data collection tools and Logical Framework Matrix (LFM). The indicators are generally SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic & Time Bound).
- Site Visits: Consists of verification, assessment, interviews with relevant company staff and stakeholders, collection of data
- Evaluation: Based on planned and actual activities & outcomes. The inferences drawn from the analysis are substantiated with quantitative data comprising of facts and figures as well as qualitative data like views, opinions, perceptions of the relevant stakeholders.
- Reporting & Communications: Reporting insights, compliance and opportunities for improvements
As mandated by SEBI, CSR performance is disclosed & reported in the Annual Business Responsibility Report. Besides it is also mandatory for CPSE who publishes their report as per the DPE guidelines.
Consultivo prepares independent CSR Report, Business Responsibility Report as per the NVG guidelines & report based on DPE guidelines for the CPSE.
Projects and programs are evaluated mid-course during their implementation as well as at the end of the specified period. This evaluation is carried out mainly to assess the output, outcome, and impact on the target population. The impact evaluations cover:
- Achievement of project objectives
- Outcomes leading to impact
- SROI – Social Return on Investment – Cost-Benefit Analysis
- Identification of reasons for non-achievement of objectives and contributing factors for achieving targets
CSR Project Monitoring and Evaluation
There is an increased emphasis on development project governance. Stricter monitoring and reporting obligations are also in place which requires companies to be more disciplined and strategic in their monitoring and evaluation approach.
Efficient governance, alignment with its core purpose, values and objectives, efficient structure to facilitate implementation, credible partners for delivery on the ground, robust monitoring, evaluation and reporting frameworks are now part and parcel of any CSR or development project.
Since most of the development requires long-term commitments and their impact often takes a while to accrue, good practice requires a company to develop a long-term (three to five years) vision and strategy which is reviewed periodically against the planned activities, budgets and outcome.
Criteria for better Monitoring and Evaluation
- Effectiveness of CSR or development activities: Is the project achieving its pre-set goals?
- Project relevance: Are project activities well-directed towards material issues of the beneficiaries and stakeholders’ requirements?
- Coherence/Complimentarily: Are activities of the development or CSR project well-coordinated?
- Efficient use of resources: Are the resources allocated for such activities utilized efficiently?
- Development-policy effects: Are CSR project efforts contributing to the overall policy or vision?
- Sustainability of the project: Will these initiatives needed and keep continuing for long duration?
Benefits of CSR Project Monitoring and Evaluation
Insights gathered from the assessment protects an organisation from making an ineffective and uncalculated CSR approach or heading in an unsustainable direction with their business.
A CSR Audit or an evaluation will also help identify gaps and potential opportunities which will improve the decision making process including legal obligations.
Consultivo is one of the leading Social Impact Consulting Firms with the 12+ years of extensive experience as CSR Consultant in development and Impact projects. We help organisations with Independent Audit, Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E), Social Impact Consulting and SROI Study in a systematic way.
The Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) of projects are conducted in line with statutory and obligatory requirements.
In India and it’s neighbouring countries, Consultivo has worked and advised several clients across sectors and industries. We have contributed extensively in the development, impact investment and CSR space as well, helping clients articulate their social investment vision and policies.
We also help them effectively with monitoring & evaluation and impact assessment of the projects.
The basic understanding of development initiatives is that it strikes a balance between economic benefits to organizations and social benefits to various stakeholders.
We’ve worked with 100+ Global Sustainability Standards
and developed a number of Codes & Standards on Safety, Social Accountability, Environmental Protection & Business Ethics. CSR Consulting helped us to gather more experiences on National/International Codes, Standards and legal requirements.